Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Cells Can Be Used For Education

Almost all schools have some sort of restrictive or total ban on cell phones. Are these bans working? The answer is no. The bans the schools have in place don't stop kids from doing what they want . Kids are still using there phones in class, hallways, bathrooms, locker rooms, and any other time a teacher isn't watching them or has there back turned.

Many people will tell you this is a serious problem. They're right. So what is the answer to this problem ? Do we need to implement stricter rules, policies, and bans? Do all schools need to have zero tolerance policies? The answer to these questions many agree is no. Instead of banning, blocking, and trying to stop the use of cell phones Educators need to redirect this generations passion for technology into a usable resource.

So what kind of a resource could a cell phone be in the school setting? Use of cell phones allow students access to many online and communication opportunitys. For instance I am a very poor speller so I am limited to the vocabulary that I am able to spell. If I were able to use may cell phone I could easily use it to spell check myself when writing a paper as I have used Google to spell check myself as I wrote this.

No comments:

Post a Comment